TPP LEVELS THE PLAYING FIELD IN THE WORLD’S FASTEST-GROWING REGION
• The United States already has one of the world’s most open economies. Over 80 percent of imports from TPP countries already enter the U.S. duty-free. However, American workers and businesses still face significant barriers in TPP countries.
• By knocking down these barriers, TPP gives more Americans a fair shot at competing in the Asia-Pacific, the world’s fastest-growing region.
• TPP comes with a host of tools to hold other countries accountable so our workers can compete: enforceable labor and environmental protections, firstever requirements for state-owned enterprises to compete fairly with U.S. businesses, and tough rules to keep the Internet open and free.
• TPP is the first trade agreement to focus on the needs of small and mediumsized businesses –98 percent of U.S. exporters—and includes commitments to ease red-tape and paperwork, provide access to efficient express delivery services, and enhance secure payment systems.
• Leveling the playing field now will produce even greater gains in the future. By 2030, Asia’s middle class is projected to reach 3.2 billion people, and those consumers will drive demand for everything America is great at making, from autos and airplanes, to agricultural goods, movies, software and services.
MADE-IN-AMERICA: BECOMING THE WORLD’S PRODUCER OF CHOICE
• After a decade in decline, American factories are opening again and manufacturing jobs are starting to return from overseas. For the first time since the 1990s, U.S. manufacturing has added jobs for five consecutive years.
• Investors and entrepreneurs are giving America a second look and see many strengths: an educated and skilled workforce, a large market and strong rule of law, and abundant sources of affordable energy.
• According to more than half of American CEOs, if their company could sell more goods and services to foreign markets, they would hire more U.S. workers, support existing jobs and U.S. suppliers, and grow and become more competitive.
• TPP puts America at the center of the world’s fastest-growing region and help us become the world’s premier place to set up shop, make things, and sell them to the world.